“The estate was then subject to many vicissitudes and changed hands a number of times. Guillaume de Bautru, Councillor of State and an extremely colourful character, acquired it in 1636."
The new owner was well-known in the reigns of Louis XIII and Louis XIV for his libertine ways, stinging repartee and love of clownish jokes. At Serrant, he became interested in his predecessor’s plans, and decided to continue the work according to the original design : the central structure was completed, and the South Tower and the two wings were built. Although the two stages of construction were separated by a whole century, the 16th century architectural designs were followed so closely that it is hard to see any difference.
The chapel, designed by Jules Hardouin Mansart, contains the mausoleum of the Marquis de Vaubrun, by Coysevox. The Marquise de Vaubrun, née Madeleine de Bautru, had commissioned this monument to celebrate the memory of her husband who was killed in the crossing of the Rhine, during the War of the Spanish Succession.